Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox LLP is a trusted law firm in Redlands California, serving clients throughout Southern California and surrounding areas. Our firm was founded to provide clients with dependable legal counsel through family law, personal injury, criminal defense, and administrative law matters. We are happy to help not only our clients, but also future lawyers. Which is why we are proud to provide our annual $500 Mock Trial Scholarship to one deserving incoming freshman.
The Mock Trial Scholarship offered by our firm is just one of the many ways we work hard to give back to our community. To learn more about our legal services and contributions throughout Southern California, contact us today. Eligible candidates can also get answers to questions below about the scholarship we are offering to promising young lawyers.
Why Does Your Firm Offer a Mock Trial Scholarship?
We believe that the practice of law is a fulfilling career that puts attorneys at the heart of the community by shaping justice and helping those in need. The practice of law is also an extremely challenging career that is just as rewarding as it is demanding. Lawyers are leaders on ethical issues in business and in public life. Our hope is to support promising students who wish to enter this exciting field.
A crucial part of preparing for law school and practicing in law is participating in mock trials. As top litigators, our attorneys know that going to court requires a unique set of skills that many practicing attorneys don’t have. Nothing allows an aspiring lawyer to test their skills like participating in a staged trial. With challenging opposition, stern judges, and split-second decisions; a mock trial is the only way to experience the conditions of a real courtroom before you are actually representing clients.
Who is Eligible for the Scholarship Being Offered?
The MBLK Mock Trial Scholarship is open to all high school seniors who have participated in mock trials at the high school level and intend to pursue a law degree. Applicants will be judged based on the strength of their essay, the content of their application, and their academic performance. We encourage you to apply and look forward to the opportunity to bestow this scholarship if you meet the following criteria:
- You must be a high school senior planning to attend law school.
- You must have participated in one or more mock trials in high school.
- You must have a minimum 3.5 GPA.
- You must submit an official copy of your transcript, your completed application and your essay to Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox, LLP c/o James Knox
1447 Ford Street Suite 201
Redlands, California 92374
What are the Essay Topics?
Please choose one of the questions below and write an essay of 500-1000 words.
- Currently, attorneys can be disbarred and prevented from serving in trial for ethical violations that do not involve the courtroom. Is this fair? Why or why not?
- Tell us about a time you lost a mock trial. What did you learn from the defeat?
- Describe one common courtroom strategy that you believe is flawed. What should trial lawyers do instead?
- Why did you choose to be part of a Mock Trial team? Describe the impact it’s had on you and how it’s affected the decisions you’ve made for your future.
What are the Deadlines for Applying?
April 1st – Fall Semester
How Can You Apply?
To apply for the MBLK Mock Trial Scholarship for Future Law Students, please complete our online application.